Sunday 21 February 2010

Negative influences

A Message from Noelyne...

I have been delivering training courses on Equality and Diversity over the past 12 months.  Some of the courses use a DVD showing Jane Elliott's exercise carried out in the late 60's in the USA called 'A Class Divided'.  Even now it's a powerful lesson in discrimination and it's amazing the effect it had on the children who participated.

One of the significant things for me is how easily you can be influenced by the people in your life.  In the DVD when the children feel inferior their performance drops significantly.  Then when they feel superior again their performance rises to better than at the start of the exercise.  It made me wonder about the people in my own life and the effect that has had.  I am happy with where I am and who I am however, I also know that it could have been a lot different.  My mother did her best however, she came from a limited and often fearful view of the world, which she passed on to her children.  Thankfully my experiences have allowed me to overcome those fears.

In life both work and personal when you are surrounded by people who are more successful, more skilled, more knowledgeable then your own performance will improve.  I have certainly witnessed this in both sport and business.  It happens in the work place too.  When a line manager totally believes in you and your development then your performance will be enhanced and of course the opposite occurs.

How many people do you have in your life who are supportive and enthusiastic and keen for you to do well?

Who in your life is negative and discourages you from following your true desires?

Noelyne Jones

P.S.  Free Special Report How to Easily Overcome Your Fears - Click Here

No comments: