Thursday 4 February 2010

How to Overcome a Fear of Failure

A Message from Noelyne...
Overcoming a Fear of Failure

How many times have you not taken action because you are afraid that you might not get it right?  Do you keep putting things off because you need more information or whatever you are doing needs a little more work?  Do you always want to be perfect at what you are about to do even though you've never done it before?  And then bottled out at the last minute for fear of looking foolish?  Or that you might make a mistake?

Sound familiar?  It brings back vivid memories for me.  I always wanted to be the best at everything I decided to do.  The problem was that for many years I stopped myself from taking opportunities because I didn't want to fail, didn't feel quite ready.  My fear of failure would take over and I would bottle out.  I would not put myself forward in case someone laughed at me.  Of course, now I realise that by doing that I was not learning and growing.  I stoppped myself from learning from experience.

When I read Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway I started to realise that it's OK to make mistakes and that in fact if you are not making mistakes you are doing something wrong.  It's when we make mistakes that we learn the most.  Think back over your life to the times when you grew and developed most as a person.  I am sure that it will be the times when things were not going as well as you would like, the failures, the challenging times.
So give yourself permission to make loads of mistakes so that you can learn and grow.

In fact I recommend you remove the word failure from your vocabulary.  Ok so it didn't quite turn out how you wanted, so what?  It's the Universes way of giving you feedback on the action you have taken.  maybe you need to change direction or try a different approach.  Get over it, learn from what happened and move on!  Sounds harsh doesn't it however, it's much more fun than living life not taking action because you might fail.  There's no fun in that, trust me.  I've got the T-shirt!

Overcome Your Fear of Failure by taking action and seeing what happens.
Whatever you do, Enjoy the Process!

Noelyne Jones

P.S. Sign up for my Free Special Report on How to Overcome Your Fears

No comments: